Saturday, April 28, 2007

Namche Bazaar

Arrived in Namche yesterday, climbing 2,000 feet from Monjo, and everyone is doing O.K. so far. We're spending two nights here for acclimatization. Staying at Khumbu Lodge, run by a prominent local family. There's a one year old baby boy on the premises and I play with him whenever I'm in the dining room. He hangs out in the kitchen and dining area with various relatives and lodge staff, plus all the trekkers want his photo, so he's not lacking in attention. I tried to pet a baby horse yesterday but it was skittish. Saw our first yaks here. They have longer hair than the zopkios.

Today we went to the weekly market where folks buy goods brought from down valley (or from Kathmandu or China, India, etc.). All that's grown around here is potatoes and a few vegetables, and barley I think. Also traders come from Tibet. Then we walked up to the Nat'l Park Museum and had our first views of Ama Dablam, Lhotse, Nuptse,and Everest. Clear blue skies. Could see clouds swirling around Everest. Apparently a Sherpa died yesterday when a serac fell on him.

Back in the town center we met a Filipino man here as support crew for the first Filipina women's attempt of Everest; they are climbing from the Tibet side. I bought a yak bell which my ladies told me I have to wear around my neck for the rest of the trip, just like the lead zopkio does...

Some folks had massages after lunch, I caught up on my trip notes and read guide books about what's nextm, looked at maps. Tomorrow we head to Khumjhung, home village of our three guides (Passang, her brother Dawa, and his wife Urken). Dawa and Urken have two children so we'll meet them. Then the next day on the Tengboche, site of a famous monastery.

I am already thinking about what I would like to do on my next trip here...there are so many regions to explore, including routes you can do by mountain bike. Also so many trekking peaks. For now, I hope I stay healthy so I can climb Kala Pattar and visit Everest Base Camp. One day at a time!

This is the last Internet as far as I know, until we're back this way in about ten days.

No comments: