Monday, April 23, 2007

in Kathmandu

Yes Grady, I have had the millet beer. Interesting stuff. It's essentially a bottomless mug of beer, since you keep pouring hot water over the fermented mash. Yum!

Spent the last couple of days wandering the neighborhood, trying to avoid getting run over by cars, rickshaws, and motorcycles on the narrow streets. And dirty hippies, trying to avoid them. Are they all going trekking, too?

Last night I had dinner with some U.S. folks who live here, including two docs who work at the int'l clinic (a psychiatrist and a travel doctor). I hope no one in our group needs to see either of them in the course of our trek...

My group of four arrived today, one is still missing her luggage. This seems to be a theme in my recent trips. They managed to stay up for dinner before crashing hard.

Tomorrow, tour of city sights (Buddhist & Hindu temples etc.). Wednesday, early flight to Lukla. I'm ready to get out of the city, or at least this neighborhood.

No comments: